Topics covered on this page:
- What is DSMC?
- Configure Your Camera System
- How do I set up and use my DSMC camera?
- Where can I find more resources?
- What is RAW recording?
- What is the highest frame rate that I can record?
- Pixel Size
What is DSMC?
DSMC® is a Digital Still and Motion Camera system that delivers ultra-high megapixel count, high frame rate, significant in-camera processing power, high dynamic range, and raw file format. The DSMC offers shooters the ability to shoot and capture both video and still images simultaneously.
The DSMC family includes EPIC, SCARLET®, WEAPON, SCARLET-W, and RED RAVENTM cameras. The DSMC system is highly modular, enabling shooters to configure a camera rig that suits their specific style and needs.
Configure Your Camera System
The Bomb Squad, RED’s customer support team, can help with any questions you have about configuring your camera system. When you call customer support or make a purchase, you are assigned to a Bomb Squad representative who will be able to field any of your questions about RED products and can help you design your camera purchase to perfectly meet your individual needs.
You can also use the RED Armory to configure the camera BRAIN, lens mounts, display, power, control modules, and media specifically for your shooting needs.
How do I set up and use my DSMC camera?
- Download the DSMC Launch Sequence for a quick-start guide.
- Watch the Launch Sequence: EPIC and SCARLET. This video gives you all of the information that you need to build a simple configuration, manage your settings, and record.
- Check out the product demos and tutorials to build your RED® camera and post production knowledge.
Where can I find more resources?
The following resources offer additional information about RED, the camera system, and the RED community:
- RED.com: Check the official RED website for the latest information about RED products.
- RED Learn Articles: RED offers in-depth technical articles about RED cameras, post-production, and digital cinematography.
- RED.com/downloads: Go to the RED Downloads page to download the latest firmware, operation guides, and post production software.
- DSMC Toolkit: Go to the RED Downloads page to find the DSMC Toolkit, which offers many helpful tools and resources to customize and improve your camera workflow.
- Support.red.com: Check the RED SUPPORT site for FAQs, or to file a support ticket.
- Bomb Squad Support: For more information, contact your Bomb Squad representative.
- In-Camera Help: Select the Help button on an in-camera screen to open up the help for that screen.
- Reduser.net: Discuss all things RED on the REDUSER third-party forum.
- REDucation: Go to the REDucation page for more information about the practical training course that focuses on best practices for shooting with RED cameras and processing footage in post production.
What is RAW recording?
RAW recording captures unprocessed information from a Bayer Pattern CMOS sensor. This raw data comprises all color information in a single channel, and remains unprocessed in the recording chain. RAW recording allows you to adjust parameters in post production, such as color, gain, and sharpening.
What is the highest frame rate that I can record?
|Camera||Format||Maximum Frame Rate (FPS)|
|WEAPON DRAGON||6K FF||82.81|
|EPIC RED DRAGON®||6K FF||82.81|
|SCARLET DRAGON||6K FF||12.08 (in Burst mode)|
|EPIC MYSTERIUM-X®||5K FF||95.83|
|SCARLET MYSTERIUM-X®||5K FF||12|
|RED ONE® MYSTERIUM-X||4K||30|
|RED ONE MYSTERIUM®||4.5K||25|
For a list of maximum frame rate for each resolution, go to the Operation Guide for each respective camera BRAIN.
The table below shows the pixel size for each camera sensor.
|RED DRAGON||5 microns|