With the launch of V-RAPTOR camera firmware version 1.3.1 Beta, RED is introducing a new license enabled feature called RED Connect. This feature will allow for the delivery of full resolution, live R3D video streaming from the camera via Secure Reliable Transport (SRT). By simply connecting an ethernet cable to the V-RAPTOR, a specially designed camera control unit (CCU) can process and output up to 8K at 60p with minimal latency. Once the frame data is on the GPU memory of the CCU, the data can be shaped to fit the needs of the live output. 8K SDI output via the Blackmagic Design DeckLink 8K Pro is currently available, and further end-user customization is possible by integrating RED’s SDK into the SRT stream.
RED Connect is available on these cameras:
• V-RAPTOR XL (at product launch)
This new feature can be implemented with the purchase of a perpetual RED Connect license. The purchase includes special camera firmware and an app that must be installed on the CCU to receive the live output data. For more information on features and pricing, please contact email@example.com.
• V-RAPTOR with RED Connect License
• QNAP USB to 5GbE Adapter (QNA-UC5G1T) to adapt the USB-C to ethernet. Required for both V-RAPTOR and V-RAPTOR XL
• Cat6 ethernet cable or faster (must support 5Gbps at a minimum)
• 10GBASE-T or faster network switch (optional, must support 5Gbps connections)
• Camera Control Unit (CCU) with RED Connect App (included with the purchase of the RED Connect License)
CCU REFERENCE DESIGN
The CCU must handle the bandwidth of the incoming data stream and have GPUs/DPUs/FPGAs that are capable of decompressing and debayering the R3D data with minimal latency. Below is a GPU-based reference design tested by RED and confirmed to handle 8K 60P streams for prolonged periods of time.
• Motherboard: ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI (AMD WRX80 EATX)
• CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3955WX 3.9GHz 16 Core
• RAM: 128GB DDR4-3200 REG ECC (8x16GB)
• GPU: Dual NVIDIA RTX A6000 48GB (Dual A6000 is necessary for 8K 60P. Dual GPUs may not be necessary if the target frame rate and resolution is less (for example, 8K 24P), but has not been tested extensively by RED). Must support NVIDIA GPUDirect.
• Networking: Sonnet 1-Port Solo 10G Ethernet PCI Express 3.0 Card (the 10G ethernet on the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with the 5G input)
What does a perpetual RED Connect license entail?
A perpetual license includes 3 years of feature updates and bug fixes.
Can I get a trial or a developer license?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I get a short term/subscription license?
We are not offering short term or subscription-based licenses during this time.
Is it one RED Connect license per camera?
Is a RED Connect license tied to a particular camera?
When you purchase a license, RED will ask for the camera serial number and provide a customized camera FW, along with the CCU app. During this time the license will be tied to the camera serial number provided. However, RED is working on upgrading the license model to allow for any RED camera to be connected to the CCU so long as the appropriate number of licenses are purchased. When the transition occurs, all customers on the previous license model will be notified.
Are you planning on real-time 8K 120P output?
The current maximum camera output is 8K 60P. RED is working on offering higher frame rates in future firmware releases. No additional license purchase will be required to obtain future firmware releases.
Can I stream Apple ProRes instead?
The RED Connect license will only allow for R3D data. RED is working on providing other output formats to better suit the workflow of a particular venue or production. Additional license fees may be required for alternate output formats.
What is the compression level of the R3D stream?
The compression level will adapt to the minimum allowable compression setting while retaining the full 16-bit R3D data for beautiful 8K imagery in a live environment.
What is the bandwidth from the camera?
The measured bandwidth from the camera is approximately 250MB/s using the QNAP adapter and a 10G capable CCU. Stay tuned for future improvements in data bandwidth.
Can I use this streaming license to remote record to the CCU?
The current RED Connect app will only allow for the live transmission of R3D frames. RED is working on a remote record solution to be announced later.
What OS do you support on the CCU?
Currently, only Windows is supported.
Can KOMODO stream R3Ds?
Currently, only V-RAPTOR and V-RAPTOR XL support RED Connect video streaming.
Can RED Connect stream audio as well?
RED Connect supports transmission of video only. Audio, gyro, and other ancillary data streams are not supported at this time.
Article is closed for comments.