As of May 21st, 2018, RED revamped its camera offerings. RED now offers the following cameras:
- DSMC2 MONSTRO: Offers the same tech specs as the earlier WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV camera. Now available in Aluminum Alloy. Upon request, this camera is also available in Carbon Fiber construction, or with a MONSTRO Monochrome sensor.
- DSMC2 HELIUM: Offers the same tech specs as the WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 camera. Now available in Aluminum Alloy. Upon request, this camera is also available with a HELIUM 8K S35 Monochrome sensor.
- DSMC2 GEMINI: Offers better data rates and REDCODE settings than the EPIC-W 5K S35 GEMINI camera, while still offering the same features and functionality. Now available in Aluminum Alloy.
- DSMC2 DRAGON-X: Features the DRAGON sensor and IPP2 technology in the same camera.
For more information on these new cameras, see the RED Store. RED is no longer selling the following cameras: WEAPON, EPIC-W, SCARLET-W, and RED RAVEN.
Initial deliveries of the DSMC2 cameras shipped with the PROFESSIONAL coin. All current orders ship with the DSMC2 coin.
Why is this change happening?
We simplified our portfolio, found efficiencies, and are passing along the benefits to our users. The full potential of the DSMC2 BRAIN is available to all—just choose your sensor based on the resolution and optical format you need.
Upgrade and Trade-In Options
- To learn about sensor upgrade options, go here.
- To learn about board upgrades for the EPIC-W, go here.
- To learn about trade-in options for the SCARLET-W, EPIC DRAGON, and SCARLET-DRAGON, go here.
- To learn about how to upgrade to DSMC2 DRAGON-X, go here.
Is the name of my camera changing?
If you received your RED camera before May 2018, the name of your camera may change in the camera menu when you upgrade to v7.0.3 or later. To see the name of your camera, go to Menu > Settings > Maintenance > System Status > Camera Info.
|Current Camera Name Before v7.0.3||New Camera Name in v7.0.3|
|WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV||DSMC2 MONSTRO 8K VV|
|WEAPON RED DRAGON 8K VV||DSMC2 DRAGON 8K VV|
|WEAPON 8K VV ANAMORPHIC||DSMC2 DRAGON 8K VV ANAMORPHIC|
|WEAPON 8K S35||DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35|
|WEAPON 8K S35 MONOCHROME||DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35 MONOCHROME|
|WEAPON 6K (CARBON FIBER)||DSMC2 DRAGON 6K S35 (CF)|
|WEAPON 6K (MAGNESIUM)||DSMC2 DRAGON 6K S35 (Mg)|
Can I upgrade to one of the new cameras?
Yes, most cameras are eligible to be upgraded to the DSMC2 cameras. Cameras eligible for upgrade include:
- WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35
- EPIC-W HELIUM 8K S35
- WEAPON RED DRAGON 6K
- EPIC-W GEMINI 5K S35
- SCARLET-W RED DRAGON 5K
- EPIC DRAGON
- SCARLET DRAGON
The list above includes any Monochrome versions, and any construction materials (Magnesium, Carbon Fiber, etc.) of those cameras.
What cameras cannot be upgraded?
The following cameras are NOT eligible to upgrade to the DSMC2 cameras:
- RED ONE
- EPIC MYSTERIUM-X
- SCARLET MYSTERIUM-X
- RED RAVEN
- WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV: This camera does not need to be upgraded, since it has the same sensor and specs as the DSMC2 MONSTRO.