As of May 21st, 2018, RED revamped its camera offerings. RED now offers the following three (3) cameras:
- DSMC2 MONSTRO: Offers the same tech specs as the earlier WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV camera. Now available in Aluminum Alloy. Upon request, this camera is also available in Carbon Fiber construction.
- DSMC2 HELIUM: Offers the same tech specs as the WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 camera. Now available in Aluminum Alloy. Upon request, this camera is also available with a HELIUM 8K S35 Monochrome sensor.
- DSMC2 GEMINI: Offers better data rates and REDCODE settings than the EPIC-W 5K S35 GEMINI camera, while still offering the same features and functionality. Now available in Aluminum Alloy.
For more information on these new cameras, see the RED Store. As part of this update, we are no longer selling WEAPON and EPIC-W cameras.
Initial deliveries of the DSMC2 cameras shipped with the PROFESSIONAL coin. All current orders ship with the DSMC2 coin.
Why is this change happening?
We simplified our portfolio, found efficiencies, and are passing along the benefits to our users. The full potential of the DSMC2 BRAIN is available to all—just choose your sensor based on the resolution and optical format you need.
Upgrade and Trade-In Options
- To learn about sensor upgrade options, go here.
- To learn about board upgrades for the the EPIC-W, go here.
- To learn about trade-in options for the SCARLET-W, EPIC DRAGON, and SCARLET-DRAGON, go here.
Is the name of my camera changing?
If you currently have a RED camera, the name of your camera may change in the camera menu when you upgrade to v7.0.3 or later. To see the name of your camera, go to Menu > Settings > Maintenance > System Status > Camera Info.
|Current Camera Name||New Camera Name in v7.0.3|
|WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV||DSMC2 MONSTRO 8K VV|
|WEAPON RED DRAGON 8K VV||DSMC2 DRAGON 8K VV|
|WEAPON 8K VV ANAMORPHIC||DSMC2 DRAGON 8K VV ANAMORPHIC|
|WEAPON 8K S35||DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35|
|WEAPON 8K S35 MONOCHROME||DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35 MONOCHROME|
|WEAPON 6K (CARBON FIBER)||DSMC2 DRAGON 6K S35 (CF)|
|WEAPON 6K (MAGNESIUM)||DSMC2 DRAGON 6K S35 (Mg)|
What if I placed an order for a camera that is no longer offered?
If you placed an order for a camera and that camera has not shipped yet, your order will be updated to the DSMC2 camera that has the same sensor as the camera you ordered. For example, if you ordered a WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35, your order will be changed to a DSMC2 HELIUM.
If the cost of the new camera is more than the camera you originally ordered, you will NOT be charged for the difference.
Can I upgrade to one of the new cameras?
Yes, most cameras are eligible to be upgraded to DSMC2 MONSTRO, DSMC2 HELIUM, and DSMC2 GEMINI. Cameras eligible for upgrade include:
- WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35
- EPIC-W HELIUM 8K S35
- WEAPON RED DRAGON 6K
- EPIC-W GEMINI 5K S35
- SCARLET-W RED DRAGON 5K
- EPIC DRAGON
- SCARLET DRAGON
The list above includes any Monochrome versions, and any construction materials (Magnesium, Carbon Fiber, etc.) of those cameras.
What cameras cannot be upgraded?
The following cameras are NOT eligible to upgrade to the DSMC2 MONSTRO, DSMC2 HELIUM, or DSMC2 GEMINI:
- RED ONE
- EPIC MYSTERIUM-X
- SCARLET MYSTERIUM-X
- RED RAVEN
- WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV: This camera does not need to be upgraded, since it has the same sensor and specs as the DSMC2 MONSTRO.