As of May 21st, 2018, RED revamped its camera offerings. RED now offers the following cameras:
- DSMC2 MONSTRO: Offers the same tech specs as the earlier WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV camera. Now available in Aluminum Alloy. Upon request, this camera is also available in Carbon Fiber construction, or with a MONSTRO Monochrome sensor.
- DSMC2 HELIUM: Offers the same tech specs as the WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 camera. Now available in Aluminum Alloy. Upon request, this camera is also available with a HELIUM 8K S35 Monochrome sensor.
- DSMC2 GEMINI: Offers better data rates and REDCODE settings than the EPIC-W 5K S35 GEMINI camera, while still offering the same features and functionality. Now available in Aluminum Alloy.
- DSMC2 DRAGON-X: Features the DRAGON sensor and IPP2 technology in the same camera.
For more information on these new cameras, see the RED Store. RED is no longer selling the following cameras: WEAPON, EPIC-W, SCARLET-W, and RED RAVEN.
Initial deliveries of the DSMC2 cameras shipped with the PROFESSIONAL coin. All current orders ship with the DSMC2 coin.
Why is this change happening?
We simplified our portfolio, found efficiencies, and are passing along the benefits to our users. The full potential of the DSMC2 BRAIN is available to all—just choose your sensor based on the resolution and optical format you need.
Upgrade and Trade-In Options
- To learn about sensor upgrade options, go here.
- To learn about board upgrades for the EPIC-W, go here.
- To learn about trade-in options for the SCARLET-W, EPIC DRAGON, and SCARLET-DRAGON, go here.
- To learn about how to upgrade to DSMC2 DRAGON-X, go here.
To find out which upgrade program and/or trade-in option is available on your camera model, please visit our Upgrades & Trade-Ins page here. Select the camera you currently own to find out what options are available to you.
Is the name of my camera changing?
If you received your RED camera before May 2018, the name of your camera may change in the camera menu when you upgrade to v7.0.3 or later. To see the name of your camera, go to Menu > Settings > Maintenance > System Status > Camera Info.
|Current Camera Name Before v7.0.3||New Camera Name in v7.0.3|
|WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV||DSMC2 MONSTRO 8K VV|
|WEAPON RED DRAGON 8K VV||DSMC2 DRAGON 8K VV|
|WEAPON 8K VV ANAMORPHIC||DSMC2 DRAGON 8K VV ANAMORPHIC|
|WEAPON 8K S35||DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35|
|WEAPON 8K S35 MONOCHROME||DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35 MONOCHROME|
|WEAPON 6K (CARBON FIBER)||DSMC2 DRAGON 6K S35 (CF)|
|WEAPON 6K (MAGNESIUM)||DSMC2 DRAGON 6K S35 (Mg)|
Can I upgrade to one of the new cameras?
Yes, most cameras are eligible to be upgraded to the DSMC2 cameras directly through RED. Cameras eligible for upgrade include:
- WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35
- EPIC-W HELIUM 8K S35*
- WEAPON RED DRAGON 6K
- EPIC-W GEMINI 5K S35*
- SCARLET-W RED DRAGON 5K*
- EPIC DRAGON*
- SCARLET DRAGON*
The list above includes any Monochrome versions, and any construction materials (Magnesium, Carbon Fiber, etc.) of those cameras.
*RED Authorized Dealers are also offering trade-in options for the EPIC-W HELIUM, EPIC-W GEMINI, SCARLET-W, EPIC DRAGON, and SCARLET DRAGON cameras. To find out which trade-in option is available on your camera model, please visit our Upgrades & Trade-Ins page here. Select the camera you currently own to find out what options are available to you.
What cameras cannot be upgraded?
The following cameras are NOT eligible to upgrade to the DSMC2 cameras directly through RED:
- RED ONE*
- EPIC MYSTERIUM-X*
- SCARLET MYSTERIUM-X*
- RED RAVEN
- WEAPON MONSTRO 8K VV: This camera does not need to be upgraded, since it has the same sensor and specs as the DSMC2 MONSTRO.
*RED Authorized Dealers are offering trade-in options for the RED ONE, EPIC MYSTERIUM-X, and SCARLET MYSTERIUM-X cameras. To find out which trade-in option is available on your camera model, please visit our Upgrades & Trade-Ins page here. Select the camera you currently own to find out what options are available to you.
What cameras receive additional warranty with an upgrade?
A camera initially purchased with a Standard 1 Year warranty will receive an additional 1 year of warranty at the time of a DSMC2 Board Upgrade or DSMC2 Sensor Upgrade. Cameras eligible for additional warranty with an upgrade include:
- EPIC-W HELIUM 8K S35
- EPIC-W GEMINI 5K S35
- SCARLET-W RED DRAGON 5K
If you also have Extended Warranty ARMOR coverage on your camera, the additional 1 year of warranty will be added to your ARMOR.
At the time of upgrading, you may also purchase UPGRADE ARMOR to add 1 year of Extended Warranty. For more information go here.
Will my camera's serial number change?
If you upgrade your camera under a DSMC2 Board Upgrade, DSMC2 Sensor Upgrade, or DSMC2 DRAGON-X Upgrade program, your camera's serial number will remain the same.
If you trade-in your camera, the new DSMC2 BRAIN will have a new serial number.