Topics covered on this page:
- Perform a Stress Test
- Save a Log File
- Firmware Does Not Upgrade
- Camera Does Not Turn On
- Tighten DC IN Connector
- Stereo Microphone and Camera Compatibility
- Media is Not Supported
- DSMC Fan 2.0 (Bottom) and the DSMC Mg PL Mount 2.0 Compatibility
Perform a Stress Test
Perform a stress test before important projects to ensure the reliability and stability of your gear. A stress test subjects your DSMC® system and equipment to the increased stress of prolonged operation. If any components are developing issues, this test will help identify those problems before you have an equipment failure during a major shoot.
- Configure your camera.
- Perform a black shade calibration (sensor calibration).
- Enable the Sensor Test Pattern in the Maintenance menu.
- Select the resolution that you want.
- Select the highest available frame rate.
- Perform a secure format of the SSD.
- Record a full SSD of footage.
- Perform a secure format of the SSD.
- Repeat step 6 to step 8 to test multiple SSDs.
NOTE: If an error occurs, save a log file and submit a Technical Support request.
NOTE: Problems or dropped frames found during the stress test display as “Errors” in the bottom of the user interface.
Save a Log File
A log file is a detailed text file of the processes and operations performed by the camera. If you contact RED for support, you may be asked to send a log file.
To save a log file, follow the instructions below:
- Ensure that a RED MINI-MAG SSD is properly mounted to the camera.
- Go to Menu > Settings > Maintenance.
- Select Save Log
The log file is saved as a *.txt file in the SSD root directory.
NOTE: The camera automatically saves a log file when it is turned off properly and an SSD is mounted.
Firmware Does Not Upgrade
- During an attempt to upgrade firmware, the PWR and REC LEDs flash red.
- After an attempt to upgrade firmware, the firmware version does not change.
- After downloading the firmware upgrade file, ensure that you unzip the file before saving it to the SSD.
- Ensure that the “force_upgrade” folder is saved to the top level of the SSD, and not to a subfolder.
Camera Does Not Turn On
The camera does not turn on (does not boot up), even when powered.
- Remove all accessories and power the camera using the DSMC AC Power Adaptor.
- Perform a Hard Restore.
- Update the camera firmware to the latest release build.
Tighten DC IN Connector
The DC IN connector nut is loose.
Tighten the loose DC IN connector nut using a pair of heavy-duty strong point tweezers.
WARNING: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
OPTIONAL: Add a small amount of Loctite 222 (low strength thread locker) to the threads of the DC IN connector nut to prevent the connector from becoming loose again.
Stereo Microphone and Camera Compatibility
The two balanced mono 3.5mm microphone ports on the front of DSMC camera BRAINs are intended for use with a mono mic level signal. If you are using a stereo microphone with a built-in cable, such as the Rode Videomic Pro, you will need to attach a stereo-to-mono adapter in order to receive an audio signal successfully.
The XLR Microphone Cable on RED.com is for balanced inputs (i.e., +/- inputs). It may not work directly plugged into a standard microphone without another cable in between.
To solve this, you could use a 3.5mm stereo breakout cable to connect two (2) microphones (L or R):
You could also use a 3.5mm stereo to XLR breakout cable:
NOTE: when selecting a cable you will need a "breakout" cable and not a "splitter" or "Y" cable. The"splitter" or "Y" cable will simply duplicate the common connector leaving you with the same potential issue.
If you want to record only one (1) single channel on a DSMC2 camera, you will need to use a stereo breakout cable, a stereo microphone, or mono microphone.
Media is Not Supported
The message “This media is not supported with your current version of DSMC firmware” displays if the camera is not running at the minimum required firmware for the SSD.
Update the camera to the latest firmware. For more information about the firmware requirements, go to the RED MINI-MAG - Media Not Supported Message article.
DSMC Fan 2.0 (Bottom) and the DSMC Mg PL Mount 2.0 Compatibility
For EPIC and SCARLET cameras, the DSMC Fan 2.0 (Bottom) and the DSMC Mg PL Mount 2.0 are not natively compatible with each other, since the fan grill prevents the lens mount locking ring from rotating. To use these devices together, remove the lower tabs from the locking ring using a T8 TORX® driver.